Thursday, November 7, 2013

Eggnog Christmas Tea Bread

The Holidays are upon us!  I love Christmas and my gosh anything that has Eggnog I must try!  Me & my family love everything with that special treat we get only once a year and so I start making it as soon as I see Eggnog on the shelves the store!

It's the most special flavor, the creaminess, the sweetness and the nutmeg just make me smile thinking about it!  I have several recipes that I make every year that use Eggnog and even a special after dinner drink with a very special Eggnog Treat.... that will come...later in the season... so if you love the holidays, recipes, crafts follow my blog and let me share my passion, joy and love of the season with you!   Okay, enough said about that.

This is one of the 1st recipes I make every year for the past 12 now.  The 1st time I made this recipe my baby (Kendall) was only 6 months old, my precious Grandmother was having a visitor over and wanted us to come share a day with her and her special childhood friend.  She was at the time 85!  So I baked this special holiday bread and it was the delight of all of us and has been ever since.  We enjoy it now with coffee just as I did with my Grandmother 12 years ago.   As I prepare to make it, I smile, and remember.
I remember that day and it is such a wonderful memory it makes this recipe extra special for me and my family.

I hope it is as special to you and your family as it is to ours.  Quick enough to prepare and oh so divine.
Here we go, the ingredients:

Eggnog Christmas Tea Bread

2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg * ( I grate over the finest grater a nutmeg whole spice for fresh, and I store them in the freezer; ziploc bag to keep for all nutmeg recipes and to put on a glass of the special holiday concoction)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened ( 1 1/2 sticks )
3 eggs
1 cup Eggnog

* optional 10 oz. jar of maraschino cherries, drained and chopped

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.       Grease bottom and sides of loaf pan.  ( I use Crisco and a silicone brush to spread it, I got tired of buying the expensive sprays, and the loaf pops right out with this method!)

Chop the cherries, place on paper towel, pat dry

In small bowl, mix flour, baking powder, nutmeg and salt; set aside.

In Mixer or Large Bowl, beat sugar and butter on high speed of electric mixer until light and fluffy :)

On medium speed, add 1 egg at a time until blended.  Add 1/3 of flour mixture, beating on low speed just till combined.  Beat in 1/2 of eggnog, then add another 1/3 of flour mix, the remaining 1/2 of eggnog, then remaining flour....beat after each ingredient just until combined.  ( this is when you gently fold in cherries if you choose)  Pour into greased loaf pan.

Bake 1 hour, 15 to 20 minutes.... till knife inserted in center of loaf comes out clean.  ( it smells so festive )
Cool in pan.  Loosen sides of loaf; remove and serve on festive platter, store under cake dome, or just slice away in the loaf pan.  Most of all......think of Christmas, remember the people you love, sit back and enjoy for a festive brunch, afternoon tea or holiday dessert.  

From my house to yours; may your holidays be filled with sunshine, joy and smiles,
from our house to yours :)

I'd love to hear your Christmas memory, and if you enjoy this recipe :)



We love the cherries and even sneak a few to see if we can tie the stems, apparently the 3 of us like to compete!  With that said, yes, more holiday fun.... who can tie the knot in the cherry stem fastest gets the 1st slice!


Happy Holidays and come back soon for more Eggnog recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment